Monday, August 9, 2010

Email to the Nons

Email to a special group of friends, the Nons (don't ask)...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, July 23

Hey Ladies,
Hated that I missed the gathering this afternoon. I was NOT having a good time at the Breast Clinic. I found a rather large and tender lump on my breast while in China. I've had several false alarms before, so wasn't really worried about it. I finally got in to see my ob/gyn, Dr. Clouatre, earlier this week and he then sent me to the clinic today. He said he wasn't worried. The lump is somewhat movable, which he said was a good thing. I also thought it came up pretty fast, but couldn't say for sure, since I'd been a bit distracted by the whole China thing. Plus, I'm ashamed to say, I don't check for lumps regularly.

Anyway, had a rather painful mammogram (yes, this thing is tender) and then ultrasound while at the clinic. I could tell by the way the technician got really quiet and was taking tons of images, then took lots more of my lymph nodes, that it might be trouble. Finally the doctor came in and let me know he was not happy with what he saw. It's a solid lump (that's bad) and pretty big...there are "calcifications" in the area - whatever that means. He said he was worried about it and we need to do a biopsy asap, so I go back on Monday for a needle biopsy. I will know results on Tuesday. My mistake was coming home and reading about breast cancer and scaring the hooey out of myself. I'm trying not to freak out about the whole thing. Told my dad and he started to cry. Bless his heart...that's a whole 'nother story. He's become extremely needy this summer and I don't know how I'm going to deal with him once school starts. Like I said...another story.

So, if you are so inclined, I would appreciate being lifted before our Lord in prayer this weekend. I'm praying the doctor is mistaken and it's really just another false alarm. My left breast has been nothing but trouble for some time now, so I'm hoping this is just another bad prank. I'm praying for a good report on Tuesday...no cancer!

I will let you all know what I find out. Whatever it is, I'm planning on rolling with the punches and dealing with it a day at a time. You know, I've gone all day (maybe the past couple of days) feeling like I needed a really good cry, but just couldn't bring it. Ever do that? So I guess this has solved that dilemma. Yep, I'm counting my blessings.

Love to you all,

Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment